Fine Arts Practices, Rehearsals & Masks
Requirements for All BISD Fine Arts Practices and Rehearsals
- Teachers, staff & volunteers / parents must follow the same arrival and distancing protocols as students. In addition see Teachers & Staff self-screen & report in Supplementary Information below.
- Students and staff must maintain at least six feet of distance from all sides when not actively practicing or rehearsing. When actively practicing and rehearsing, students and staff SHOULD maintain at least ten feet of distance from all sides WHEN POSSIBLE.
- Directors, collaborate with your principal to determine which restrooms & lockers will be used each week, so the custodial staff can thoroughly clean on a regular basis.
- All participants are required to wear a mask. See details in next sections for any exceptions.
- Executive Order GA-29, (July 8th update) regarding face coverings, applies to all UIL activities effective July 3, 2020. This includes all 2020 summer activities and in-season activities for the 2020-2021 school year. As the public health situation changes, and/or if subsequent Executive Orders are issued by Governor Greg Abbott, these guidelines may be further modified.
- For the purposes of this document, masks and face coverings include non-medical grade disposable face masks, cloth face coverings (over the nose and mouth), or full-face shields to protect eyes, nose, and mouth. Face shields may be superior to cloth face coverings in many circumstances, given improved ability to see mouth movements and improved air circulation.
- All employees, parents, visitors and students ten years of age or older must wear face coverings or face shields upon entry to an area where UIL activities are being conducted and when not actively practicing, unless an exception listed below applies.
- The face coverings requirements do not apply to a school in a county that meets the requirements of paragraph 11 of Executive Order GA-29, unless the local school system chooses to implement these requirements locally. Even in these circumstances, the wearing of face coverings or face shields is strongly encouraged.
- Exceptions to the wearing of face coverings or face shields include:
- Any person with a medical condition or disability that prevents wearing a face covering
- While a person is consuming food or drink;
- When a congregating group of persons maintains at least 6 feet of social distancing; or
- Any other reason or circumstance indicated under Executive Order GA-29.
- It may be impractical for students to wear masks or face shields while participating in some non-UIL athletic or other extracurricular activities (playing a wind instrument). When it is impractical for students to wear masks or face shields during those activities, schools must require students, teachers, staff, and visitors to wear masks or face shields when entering and exiting facilities and practice areas and when not actively engaging in those activities.
- Schools may, for example, allow students who are actively exercising to remove masks or face shields, as long as they maintain at least six feet of distance from other students, teachers, and staff. However, schools must require students, teachers, and staff to wear masks or face shields as they arrange themselves in positions that will allow them to maintain safe distancing.