Safety and Abuse Prevention – Recommendations by your Fine Arts Department:
Be aware of the fact that there are two issues: crossing the line and the appearance of crossing the line. Please take affirmative steps to avoid both. When in doubt, contact Mr. Peach or your principal or Human Resources for guidance. Below are a few recommendations from Mr. Peach:
- District employees should ever be alone with a student for any prolonged period of time. Staff should ensure that at least one other student and/or one other adult are present and in eyesight at all times.
- When employees need to communicate with students outside the hearing of other persons, they should do so in an open area and within the sight of others.
- To the extent possible, employees should not place telephone calls to students. Calls should be directed to parents of the student.
- No employee should ever write, e-mail, call, or otherwise communicate with a student if the communication is intended to be private. Notes of encouragement may be appropriate if also addressed to the student’s parent in the same communication.
- Never write or say anything to a student that you would not be comfortable sharing with the student’s parents, your administration, or read out loud at a school board meeting.
- While on trips away from school, a chaperone or teacher, should never be alone with a student for any reason at any time.
- Employees should not be alone with current or potential student outside of work-related activities.
- Never arrange to meet a student away from school without parent permission or one of the parents being present.
- Adults should not use any student restroom facility.
- Employees should not transport a student in their personal vehicle except in a true emergency.
- No employee should ever pat a student on any private part of the body, including but not limited to the bottom.
- Employees should not initiate physical contact with students other than a high five or a pat on the back. If any student ever expresses any discomfort with any of these contacts, then no further contact should be made.
- Our Fine Arts staff must be consistent with the use of proper language and ways to professionally convey your message – demeaning, degrading, loud and/or profane language has no part in our fine arts programs.
- Follow all district policy and guidelines on social media within your programs and schools.
- Do not friend any BISD students on any of your personal online media (FaceBook, etc). Wait until they graduate. Group FaceBook pages are not personal, they are public.
- If you choose to create a group page in Facebook for your group, you must have administration rights. Strongly consider making it a Closed Group. Remember that you will be held responsible for all content on these sites (i.e. someone copies a post and sends to the newspaper, administration or school board member). Only place pictures on your site that educationally enhance your program. Use good judgment and good taste.