Temporary & Contracted Services - Guidelines to determine the paperwork necessary for services
Be advised the district will determine how an individual is paid for services performed. The two options available are
- Temporary Employee
- Contracted Service
Use this document as a procedural guide for the following types of service. Failure to comply with these guidelines could subject the district to substantial fines and penalties. Please contact purchasing Office at 830-357-2026 or email email@example.com for clarification in this process.
Temporary Employee - Private Lessons Staff, Guard Instructor and Choreographer classify as Temporary Employees unless exceptions approved by Human Resources for Contracted Services.
The positions will need to be posted and accepted through BISD Human Resources before Temporary Employees can start working with our students. For the purposes of Human Resources all positions will be classified online as Clinicians. The Clinicians position will be clarified in the job description for which the applicant is applying (Art, Band, Choir etc.).
- Contact HR to post one of the above positions with a job description.
- The process will be the same paperwork as a substitute teacher for the Temporary Employee. No references, no resume, no transcripts.
- Fingerprinting and DPS and all other paperwork is required through HR.
- A budget must be established prior to the work.
- All payments will be proceed through BISD. Booster Club donations should be transferred into the appropriate accounts before payment is needed.
- $25 will be the default standard rate of pay.
- The exception of Private Lessons Staff. Private Lessons Staff are paid directly to the teacher from the student (please notate this in the job description).
- Timesheets for Guard Instructors and Choreographers are needed for payment. Submitted by the director of the program.
Special Notes / Exceptions:
- Temporary employees are paid through payroll and the district is responsible for ½ of their employment tax. We will remit their income taxes and the combined employment taxes (the district’s and the employees’ share). When budgeting for temporary employees, you must include the tax liability in your calculation. Yvonne has a spreadsheet to assist with the budgeting process. - Mandy Herber, Director of Business Services - (830) 357-2027
Choreographer: If BISD is strictly purchasing the choreography, then this does not involve services and is the same as purchasing a supply. The company or choreographer is entered as a vendor and a PO is issued for the purchase to the company. The invoice should clearly state that a product was purchased. They are neither a contractor nor a temporary employee in this case.
Contracted Services - Accompanist, Judge, Contractor, Guest Speaker, Performer or Artist classify as Contracted Services.
All Contractors must complete the following:
- Vendor Application Packet
- Please note on the first page our vendors will need to clarify all commodity areas that apply (bottom of first page) as “Other” and list role as a vendor with BISD.
- Example - Other: Accompanist for CHS Choirs
- Independent Contractor CHC Certification - sign, date & title
- Contractor CHC Certification - sign, date & title
- *Subcontractor CHC Certification - *Only needed if the contractor is subcontracting. This person will be providing services in connection with the contract between BISD and the contractor.
Once they are a Vendor they will will receive a Vendor number and will be tracked and approved through Skyward.
Last step is for the Director to submit the Contract:
BISD Consultant Services Contract - Director of the program will need to complete this form with contract dates and services performed. Vendor, Principal and Director Signatures are required after Contractor is an approved vendor.
A few helpful reminders to help the process (please also read details listed on contract):
- Rates of pay and hours will need to be clear on the contract.
- This individual is solely responsible for the work performed and is paid by the job and not the hour.
- This contractor will provide a services for a predetermined occurrence with no prolonged or unsupervised interaction with students. A BISD employee will be present during the performance or clinic.
- Taxes are the responsibility of the Contractor.
- A budget must be established prior to the work.
- A PO must be issued prior to the performance of services.
- The contractor will remit invoice(s) for payment of service.
- All payments will be proceed through BISD.
- Booster Club donations - transferred into the appropriate accounts before payment is needed.
- SB9 requires all vendors who will provide services to the district as a consultant provide the district verification their employees have been fingerprinted and do not possess criminal history that would prevent them from working with students.
If BISD is strictly purchasing the choreography, then this does not involve services and is the same as purchasing a supply. The company or choreographer is entered as a vendor and a PO is issued for the purchase to the company. The invoice should clearly state that a product was purchased. They are neither a contractor nor a temporary employee in this case and are subject to procurement limitations.
Please contact purchasing Office at 830-357-2026 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for clarification.