Applicants must meet the following requirements:
• a United States citizen;
• 18 years of age or older on the first day of the term to be filled at the election or on the date of appointment, as applicable;
• not been determined by a final judgment of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be totally mentally incapacitated or partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote;
• not been finally convicted of a felony;
• resided continuously in the state for 12 months and in the territory from which the office is elected for six months immediately preceding the following date: -for an independent candidate, the date of the regular filing deadline for a candidate’s application for a place on the ballot; -for a write-in candidate, the date of the election at which the candidate’s name is written in; or -for an appointee to an office, the date the appointment is made;
• registered to vote in the territory from which the office is elected on the date described above; and
• satisfies any other eligibility requirements prescribed by law for the office. Tex. Elec. Code § 141.001; Tex. Educ. Code § 11.066.