SAM'S (Students Achieving Maximum Success) Kids
The goal of the priority student program is to find and provide programs, people, and services that narrow the gap between a child's current academic performance and their full academic potential.
Define a Priority Student: A student experiencing a significant gap between their academic potential and their actual performance.
Identify the Neediest Children
Methods for identifying children:
- Classic at risk definitions provided by TEA include failing TAKS, LEP, Economically Disadvantaged, drop-outs, etc.
- Identification by Child Study Teams
- Identification by the child's parents
- Identification by educators and support staff
Focusing on Priority Students
According to the data, what students are most often identified as priority students?
- Low in math, reading
- Behavioral problems
- Not involved in school activities
- Family difficulties - largest number
- Motivation difficulties
- Students new to Boerne
- More males than females
- Disproportionately Hispanic, poor
- Anger problems
Planning Campus In-service on Priority Students
Single most important thing that was decided at the administrative level is the idea that a 1 on 1 relationship with someone who cares is the most beneficial thing we can do for these students.
All of us have God given talents. One of our jobs is to help students and parents find these and help them reach their potential. We should all reach for the sun and if we don't get there, we land among the stars- which is not bad!
That concept and its obvious implication is that we're all experts at something - and we can all learn new things.
Sam's Kids Programs so far have:
- Blue bus tutoring
- Improved TAKS Scores
- Decreased Drop-out Rates
- Increased the Number of students receiving mentoring assistance
- Created a concrete connections with community providers
- Club Day Participation increased
Contact Janet D'Spain for more information.