Summer Dual Credit Opportunity: Angelo State University
- BISD rising 11th and 12th grade students may take one college course per summer session.
- Summer I session (June 1- July 1, 2020)
- Summer II session (July 6 – August 5, 2020)
- Courses are $50 per credit hour. ($150 for a three-credit hour course, $200 for a four-credit hour course) Textbooks may be required and are not included in the cost of the course.
- The installment plan is not available for summer due to the shortness of the courses.
- Summer I Payment: Due by May 29th
- Summer II Session Payments: Due by July 2nd
** Students who do not pay in-full by May 29th or July 2nd class day will be dropped from their class(es).**
- Angelo State uses an A-F grading system for the college grade. Your high school grade will be determined using the BISD transfer grade policy according to the following chart:
Transfer Grade Conversion Chart
All dual credit courses will receive Tier 1 weight when determining GPA.
HOW TO SIGN UP FOR COURSES:
- Fill out the free ASU Dual Credit College Application .
- This application says it is for the Fall/Spring Semesters. However, we will be using the same application sign up for Summer I & II Sessions.is for Fall and Spring semesters.
- After you complete the application, email firstname.lastname@example.org and copy your high school counselor to inform both campuses you are enrolling in Summer I and/or Summer 2 sessions.
- Student & Parent Agreement Form:
- Submit this form to ASU (available on the application page).
- Email a copy to your high school counselor.
- High School Transcript Request
- Request a high school transcript from your school counselor to be sent to ASU.
- TSI (Texas Success Initiative) Testing:
- Math Courses: Must make qualifying score in Math.
- English Courses: Must make qualifying score in English AND Math.
- Passing TSI Scores are required for ALL English and Math Dual Credit Courses.
- TSI qualifying scores are shown on the Dual Credit TSI Chart.
- For all other courses you must have administration approval from your home campus, a 3.0 or higher GPA, and/or be in the top 50% of your graduating class (Check with your counselor)
- Examity for TSI Qualifying Scores:
- Let your counselor know if you need to take or retake the TSI.
- Examity is currently proctoring online TSI sessions at a cost of $20.
- Your school counselor will assist in registering you for TSI testing through the Examity platform.
- Fill out the BISD ASU Summer Dual Credit Course Request Form.
What is Dual Credit?
BISD Dual Credit Information Night Presentation -- Get important deadlines and information about 2020-2021 BISD Dual Credit courses
December 1, 2019 Dual Credit Interest Survey Deadline --this will be emailed to all students and parents
December 8, 2019 Dual Credit Apply Texas Application Deadline
1. Go FAAR Module: Click on Start Tab in student ACES and complete Go FAAR Module and Test Prep (Test Prep for TSI Only)
2. DCSO Module: Click on Home Tab in student ACES and complete the Dual Credit Student Orientation. Fill out and upload CONSENT FORM. No Liaison signature needed.
3. Check Course Registration: In August, verify your course registration in ACES against your high school schedule upon receipt.
How is Dual Credit different from the Advanced Placement Program?
Advanced Placement courses, like dual credit, are rigorous college level courses that follow a college curriculum approved by College Board. Students taking these courses are expected to take the AP tests offered in the spring that have additional fees paid by the students. Students scoring a 3, 4, or a 5 on one or more of these tests may gain college credit. Students should consult specific colleges/university websites to verify accepted AP tests and scores and how they will fit into a potential degree plan. Dual Credit is also rigorous; however, dual credit is college credit upon successful completion of the course(s).
Requesting a Dual Credit Transcript
You will receive an UNOFFICIAL copy of your dual credit transcript from your high school counseling office in the Spring, around the time your cap & gown is delivered. Please keep this copy to take with you to your college NEW STUDENT ORIENTATION to register for classes. 3-4 weeks after graduation, your official NVC transcript will be available for request. You may go in person to the Northwest Vista College Welcome Center or log in to your ACES account at www.alamo.edu and
- Select Student Tab
- Web Services
- Student Records
- Request Printed Official Transcript
Texas Success Initiative (TSI)
“The TSI Assessment (TSIA) is part of the Texas Success Initiative program designed to help your college or university determine if you are ready for college-level course work in the general areas of reading, writing, and mathematics. This program also will help determine what type of course or intervention will best meet your needs to help you become better prepared for college-level course work if you are not ready. If you are an incoming college student in Texas, you are required to take the TSI Assessment — unless you are already exempt— to determine your readiness for college-level work. Based on how you perform, you may either be enrolled in a college-level course that matches your skill level and/or be placed in the appropriate developmental course or intervention to improve your skills and prepare you for success in college-level courses.”
-Texas Success Initiative (TSI) Assessment, Student Informative Brochure, (2015), College Board, Retrieved from https://www.collegeboard.org/
What is on the TSI?
- Math: Elementary Algebra and Functions, Intermediate Algebra and Functions, Geometry and Measurement, and Data Analysis, Statistics and Probability.
- Reading: Literary Analysis, Main Idea and Supporting Details, Inferences in a Text or Texts, and Author’s Use of Language.
- Writing: Essay Revision, Agreement, Sentence Structure, and Sentence Logic.
Students Enrolled IN AP/Dual English 4
You will receive credit for English 2332 and English 2333 (World Literature 1 and 2). In order to receive credit for English 1301 and English 1302 (Composition 1 and 2), you must send your AP English Language exam scores to Northwest Vista College if you have not done so already. Once scores have been received, you must then go to Northwest Vista College Testing Center in the Cypress Campus Center Room 207 and request that your AP score be placed on your transcript for credit.