Boerne ISD is a fast-growth school district in a vibrant and active development region of Central Texas. In an effort to mitigate overcrowding at our campuses, BISD must endeavor to level and balance the enrollment at each school. Thus, the district may grant only a limited number of transfers from one school to another within BISD. This is necessary because our constantly growing community forecasts overcrowding difficulties in every attendance area.
Please realize that re-zoning of attendance areas will be a necessity every 3 to 5 years and no area of Boerne ISD is temporarily or permanently immune. Parents who live in Boerne should expect their children could be re-zoned several times during their K-12 experience.
Student Transfer Timeline
This area is currently under construction.
Student Transfer Reasons
All requests for transfers between schools within BISD are reviewed by a designated Administrator and a Campus Principal. Per Board policy FDB (LOCAL), the following shall be considered in evaluating your request:
• Once a transfer is approved, the expectation is that the student will remain at the requested campus until he/she has completed all grades offered at that campus, unless revoked by the receiving campus. Students do not need to reapply annually while attending the requested campus.
• University Interscholastic League (UIL) guidelines on eligibility as it relates to transfer students shall be followed for all extracurricular activities.
• Transportation will be the responsibility of the student's parent/guardian.
• Falsification of any information shall cause this application for transfer to be denied or revoked.
• Policy FDB (LEGAL) states, "The Board or designee shall verify that a student has been a victim of bullying before transferring a student." Campus administration will provide documentation that supports the request of the transfer.
• Campus and classroom availability at the requested campus.Once an intra-district is granted, the parent/guardian may not change that decision.
Notification of Transfer Approvals/Denials to Parent/GuardianNotification of the approvals/denials of student transfers will be made by the receiving campus registrar by email if we have the correct email address.Any student approved for a transfer needs to review local and State UIL requirements to determine eligibility status.
A parent may appeal the initial decision if the request for a student transfer is denied. Please contact the office of the Deputy Superintendent at (830) 357-2011 for more information.
This area is currently under construction.
Reasons for Denial/Revocation of Transfer
Reasons for Denial shall include, but not are not limited to:
• Campus and Classroom Availability
• Timeliness of Request
• Insufficient Documentation
• Failure to meet Program Requirement
• Excessive Absences/Tardies
• UIL Guidelines
• Discipline Issues
• Falsification of Records
Reasons for revoking the transfer shall include, but are not limited to:• Repeated disciplinary infractions or the student commits disciplinary infractions which mandate removal to DAEP or JJAEP.• The parent/guardian is no longer an employee of Boerne ISD.• Documented pattern of late arrivals, late pick-ups, and/or poor attendance.• The educational needs of the student can be met at the student's zoned campus.• Any falsification of information shall cause this application for transfer to be denied and/or revoked.
• School overcrowding and/or if other circumstances merit reconsideration.
Out of District Transfers
Employee: A nonresident, full-time Boerne ISD employee may request their child be admitted into a Boerne ISD school by completing an application. These applications will be reviewed annually. The District reserves the right to place nonresident children in an open campus and/or refuse admittance if a school or the District reaches capacity. The District is not responsible for transportation of transfer students, except as provided by statute or policy.
Transfers to Participate in Elementary Dual Language for Native English Speakers (Opt-in)
Parents of students entering kindergarten with English as their first language have the opportunity to participate in the district’s dual language program. Academic subjects are taught in both Spanish and English according to a 90/10 instructional model. In this model, kindergarten students are instructed in Spanish for 90% of their day and in English for the remaining 10% of their instructional time. In each successive year, the amount of English is increased by 10% until fourth grade when 50% of the instructional day is in Spanish and 50% is in English. The goal of this program is for students to become bilingual and biliterate by 5th grade.
Parents who are interested in pursuing enrollment in the dual language program for their child indicate interest as they register their child during Kindergarten Round-Up. During the spring Kindergarten Round-Up, the Boerne ISD Dual Language Program Enrollment Procedures, Parent Checklist, and Frequently Asked Question documents will be provided to parents who sign a roster indicating interest in the program. Each elementary, whether or not it offers the Dual Language Program, will provide the information and sign-up roster.